What to Bring

Suggested Packing List:

Dress in Israel tends to be casual, and what you wear at your home university is probably what you will want to wear at the University of Haifa. In addition to your basic clothing, we suggest you bring the following items:

*** Must bring unlocked/SIM-free phone

 Hat
 Water Bottle
 Sleeping bag (for overnight trips during fall & spring semesters)
 Swimwear
 Mosquito repellent
 Hiking shoes
 Waterproof sandals
 Sunscreen
 Towels
 Prescription medication
 Camera
 Toiletries

It should be noted that most American and European brands of toiletries can be purchased in Israel, and Israel offers many comparable brands, so there is no need to bring a year's supply of toiletries. Some items, such as batteries and reading material, are very expensive in Israel, so you may want to bring enough to last you through your stay. 

If you will be living in the dormitories on campus, please note the following: sheets and blankets (for a single bed), and a pillow will be provided to you upon arrival, but you have the option to bring from home. The dormitories will provide you with a hotplate and a refrigerator in your dorms. Any other appliances and utensils can be brought with you, or purchased during your first week in Haifa.

Optional Items:

Dictionary: If you intend to study Hebrew while you are in Israel, you will want to bring a dictionary that translates between Hebrew and your native language. Dictionaries can also be purchased at the University's bookstore.

Travel Guide: You may want to bring a travel guide to Israel. Lonely Planet and Let's Go are recommended because they are geared towards students.

Photographs: You are encouraged to bring several extra passport photos. You may need these for a gym membership, visa renewal, and other needs.

International Student ID Card: Although you will be issued a student card by the International School that will give you access to facilities at the University of Haifa, you may want to purchase an International Student Identification Card (ISIC), which will entitle you to certain travel discounts, reduced fares on entrances to attractions, and other reductions both in Israel and anywhere else you may travel. The card can be purchased at most student travel agencies.

Electrical Appliances:

The electrical current in Israel is 220 volts, 50 cycles (as opposed to the 110 volts and 60 cycles in North America). Therefore, if you choose to bring any electrical equipment, you will need to purchase a transformer. Some appliances, such as hair-dryers and shavers, may be dual-voltage, and for these you will need adapter plugs that are convertible to the Middle East. 

Computers and WiFi:

Most of the University of Haifa is equipped with wireless internet access, as well as most of the dorm rooms. If your dorm room does not have WiFi an ethernet cord will be provided. Please make sure your computer charger is adapted for 220 volts.